Jul 20, 2024  
2016-17 Catalog 
2016-17 Catalog FINAL VERSION - Closed for Revisions


Office of Admissions

Room 102 Student Services Center
UW-Stevens Point
Stevens Point WI 54481-3897
Phone: 715-346-2441
Email: admiss@uwsp.edu
Web: www.uwsp.edu/admissions

Admission Application Procedure

You may apply for admission to UW-Stevens Point by submitting the UW System electronic application or the paper application form available at: https://apply.wisconsin.edu.

New Freshman Admission Policy

Admission to the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point is competitive. All applications are reviewed on an individual basis with both academic and non-academic factors considered. The university will give strong consideration to applicants with successful academic backgrounds who have demonstrated achievement both inside and outside the classroom. The potential to contribute to a diverse educational community is also considered.

NOTE: Admission is subject to program capacity limits and institutional enrollment limits.

  1. You must graduate from a recognized high school or the equivalent.
    1. A recognized high school is one which either (a) is accredited by a regional accrediting association or state university or (b) is recognized or accredited by a state department of public instruction or equivalent.
    2. An applicant who has not graduated from a recognized high school must provide evidence of ability to begin college work. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to: transcripts verifying completion of a home-schooled educational program, GED/HSED test scores, ACT/SAT scores, and/or transcripts of coursework completed in high school. Additional documents, testing, and a personal interview may be required.
  2. Academic Unit Requirements
    Minimum Required Recommended
  English 4 units 4 units
  Mathematics 3 units 4 units
  Social Science 3 units 4 units
  Natural Science 3 units 4 units
  Foreign Language 0 units 2-4 units
  Electives* 4 units 4 units

*At least two of the elective credits must be from foreign language, fine arts, computer science, English, math, social science, or natural science.

For acceptable courses in each academic area, please visit “Admission Criteria” on the First-Year Student Admissions website.

  1. Academic Criteria
    1. Class rank
    2. Test scores: ACT or SAT (UW-Stevens Point does not require the ACT Writing Test.)
    3. Cumulative high school grade point average (GPA)
    4. Rigor of high school courses
    5. Trend in grades: the pattern of grades including the pattern in academic courses
  2. Non-academic Criteria
    In addition to academic achievement, the following non-academic factors will be considered: demonstrated leadership; involvement through work experience, extracurricular activities, and volunteerism; personal characteristics and accomplishments including honors, awards, special talents and abilities, and personal qualities; diversity in background and experience; and life circumstances.

    While non-academic qualifications are considered in the comprehensive review process, they will not necessarily make an applicant with a weak academic background a strong candidate for admission.

Admission requirements and criteria are subject to change.

Orientation for New Freshmen

As a new freshman at UW-Stevens Point, you participate in a two-day orientation program. Through the program, you learn how to quickly and easily adapt to university life by getting to know UW-Stevens Point’s customs, traditions, curricula, policies, and services. You meet with an academic adviser and prepare your class schedule for your first semester. You also meet with upper-class students and other new students in small discussion groups.

We encourage your parents to attend Orientation with you. Your parents hear presentations by UW-Stevens Point faculty and staff on such topics as student health programs, health insurance, financial aid opportunities, and housing and dining programs. You and your parents are invited to stay in a residence hall and eat at our dining facilities. For more information, write or visit the Admissions Office, Room 102, Student Services Center, or call 715-346-2441.

If you are a nontraditional student, you may get additional information about orientation and registration by writing or visiting the Diversity and College Access office, Room 209, Student Services Center, or calling 715-346-3574.

Non-degree (Special) Students

If you are a high school graduate and want to take a limited number of courses, and you are not seeking a degree, you may be allowed to register for courses without formally applying for admission. Please contact the Admissions Office for information regarding registration.

High School (Special) Students

If you are a qualified high school junior or senior who wishes to take university courses while still enrolled in high school, you may be permitted to do so on a space-available basis. You will need to submit a UW-Stevens Point Youth Options Program/High School Special Student Application form and an official high school transcript. Additional information is available on the Admissions website. You may also contact your high school counselor or the UW-Stevens Point Admissions Office for more information.

Returning UW-Stevens Point Students 

(Provisional approval granted by the Executive Committee on 5/10/2017. This will be a Common Council agenda item for the 9/6/2017 meeting).

If you have been away from campus for two or more semesters (not including Summer term), complete the UW System admission application form (see Admission Application Procedure in the beginning of this section) to apply for readmission to UW-Stevens Point. Ask any colleges you’ve attended since leaving UW-Stevens Point to send an official copy of your transcript to our Admissions Office so we can determine your eligibility for readmission.

If you left UW-Stevens Point under academic suspension, a letter of appeal must accompany your application for admission. The letter should explain the circumstances which affected your academic performance (include documentation if available), how your problems have been resolved, your activities/occupations since your attendance here, and what has changed so that, if you are readmitted, we can be assured that you will not be suspended again. You are eligible to apply for readmission as follows:

  1. First suspension: You may apply for readmission one semester after you are first suspended, but please note that readmission is not automatically granted. You may apply even earlier if you show that you were suspended due to circumstances you could not control and that those circumstances have changed.
  2. Second and following suspensions: You may apply for readmission two years after you are suspended for a second time. Again, you may apply earlier only if you show that you were suspended due to circumstances you could not control and that those circumstances have changed.
  3. Appeals: If we deny your request for readmission, you may appeal our decision. Address your appeal letter to Director of Admissions with a request that your appeal be forwarded to the Chancellor’s Appeals Committee.

Admission of Transfer Students

Follow the instructions under Admission Application Procedure to apply for admission to UW-Stevens Point. You will need to submit the UW System application form and have official transcripts from your high school and each college you have attended forwarded directly to the UW-Stevens Point Admissions Office.

Admission to the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point is competitive. Our Office of Admissions reviews all transfer applicants on an individual basis, considering both academic and non-academic factors. We pay particular attention to college-level course work you have completed, including your cumulative grade point average, the rigor of your course work, and grade trends and patterns. We also consider non-academic factors that demonstrate how you will enrich our campus community, including your extracurricular and employment experiences, personal characteristics and accomplishments, special talents and abilities, and life circumstances. While non-academic factors are considered, they will not make an academically weak applicant admissible.

Due to enrollment limits, admission regulations for transfer students are subject to change at any time. For further information regarding admission eligibility and enrollment, please contact the Admissions Office, Room 102, Student Services Center, 715-346-2441, admiss@uwsp.edu.

Transferring Credit to UW-Stevens Point

To transfer credits you have earned at another institution to UW-Stevens Point, ask each college you have attended to send an official transcript of your credits to UW-Stevens Point’s Admissions Office. The Admissions Office determines whether credits earned at another institution will transfer to UW-Stevens Point and how those credits will apply toward the UW-Stevens Point General Education Program. Please note the following in regard to credit transfer:

  • An official evaluation of your transfer credits will be completed after you are admitted on a final basis and have confirmed your intention to enroll at UW-Stevens Point.
  • Credit is generally awarded for college-level courses completed with grades of D or higher at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Courses must be similar in nature, level, and content to course work in our undergraduate curriculum. Continuing education courses and courses that are remedial, technical, vocational, and doctrinal in nature are not transferable.
  • The appropriate academic department will determine which credits apply to your major and minor.
  • We accept a maximum of 72 credits from two year colleges. You will receive lower division (100-200 level) credit for any of these courses. Exceptions can be granted by the appropriate dean. There is no limit on credits accepted from four year universities.
  • Credits transferred from other institutions are not used in calculating the UW-Stevens Point grade point average. The UW-Stevens Point grade point average is determined only by credits and grade points earned at UW-Stevens Point. However, transfer credits and grades ARE included in the calculation of the grade point average in most majors and minors and in the determination of graduation honors.
  • If your previous institution awarded “split” grades (AB, BC, etc.), those grades will appear on your UW-Stevens Point degree progress report as follows: AB = B+, BC = C+, CD = D+.
  • To graduate from UW-Stevens Point, you must earn at least 30 of the total number of credits required for graduation in residence at this university.

Transferring Credit from another UW System Institution or Wisconsin Technical College

You may transfer up to a total of 72 credits in UW College or other two year college courses. You will receive lower division (100-200 level) credit for any courses you transfer from UW Colleges. Exceptions can be granted by the appropriate dean. We recommend that you consult the UW System’s online Transfer Information System (TIS) for timely and accurate information on course equivalencies between the UW College campuses and UW-Stevens Point.

Using TIS you can determine how your UW College courses will transfer and which UW-Stevens Point general degree requirements they will fulfill.

If you transfer from a UW College and are enrolled continually (excluding summers), you will have the option of observing UW-Stevens Point degree requirements that were in effect when you first enrolled at the UW College.

Transferring Credit from Wisconsin Technical Colleges

If you have been enrolled in the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) and wish to continue your education at UW-Stevens Point, you may be eligible to transfer credits toward your bachelor’s degree in the following ways:

  • If you are or have been enrolled in the Liberal Arts Transfer program at Madison Area Technical College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Western Technical College, or Nicolet Area Technical College, you may be eligible to transfer up to 72 credits toward your baccalaureate degree.
  • If you earned an approved bachelor or associate degree from another UW System institution or an approved associate degree from one of the Liberal Arts Transfer programs at Madison Area Technical College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Western Wisconsin Technical College, or Nicolet Area Technical College, you will automatically satisfy the UW-Stevens Point General Education Program requirements, except for the Communication in the Major and Capstone Experience in the Major requirements.
  • If you have attended a WTCS institution since September 1, 1985 (not in a college parallel program), you may be eligible to transfer approved WTCS general education courses in communication, social sciences, behavioral sciences, mathematics and natural science. You also may be eligible to transfer certain technical support or occupational credits if they have been approved for transfer by our academic departments or if there is an approved program-to-program articulation agreement between a WTCS associate degree program that you have completed and a program offered at UW-Stevens Point.
  • You also may be eligible for credit by earning appropriate scores on national standardized examinations and/or UW-Stevens Point test-out programs that are described later in this section of the catalog.

We recommend that you consult the UW System’s online Transfer Information System for information on specific WTCS/UW-Stevens Point course equivalencies and articulation agreements, or contact the Admissions Office, Room 102, Student Services Center, 715-346-2441, admiss@uwsp.edu.

Transfer Information System

If you are transferring to UW-Stevens Point from another UW System institution or a Wisconsin Technical College, we encourage you to consult the Transfer Information System (TIS). This online source of information about credit transfer, course equivalencies, academic requirements and general UW System information may be accessed on the Web at http://tis.uwsa.edu. TIS is designed to provide prospective transfer students with current information to help you better prepare for transferring. If you are currently a UW-Stevens Point student, you may find TIS helpful if you plan to take a summer course at another UW System school and transfer it back to UW-Stevens Point, or if you plan to transfer from UW-Stevens Point to another UW institution.

Transfer Credit Appeal Procedure

Here is the appeal procedure you can follow if you do not agree with the way we applied your transfer credits to the general education requirements.

  1. Ask a transfer counselor in the Admissions Office to explain the basis for the current evaluation.
  2. If you earned the credits at an institution that is not part of the UW System, submit:
    1. A copy of the transcript and the UW-Stevens Point evaluation.
    2. A copy of the course description from the time you took the course. (For example, Iowa State’s course description for SOC 105 in 2003.)
    3. A written request for the action you desire.
  3. If you are still not satisfied with our transfer credit evaluation and believe you have sufficient grounds for an appeal, send a written request to the Transfer Credit Appeal Committee, c/o Registrar, UW-Stevens Point. Explain why you feel credit should be granted toward UW-Stevens Point general education requirements. Include copies of the materials listed in 2 above along with the transfer counselor’s response. You must file this appeal at least one semester before you expect to graduate.

Alternative Credit Opportunities

In addition to traditional classroom instruction, there are a number of opportunities available at UW-Stevens Point for earning credit or meeting course requirements. These opportunities could allow you to graduate sooner than normal or take advantage of additional coursework outside of your major. If you are a self-learner, have substantial preparation in certain subject matter, or have applicable life experiences, you are encouraged to pursue one or more of the following opportunities.

Advanced Placement Program (AP)

If you are currently a high school student, you can earn college credit if your school participates in the College Board AP Program. High schools participating in the AP program offer college level courses for which examinations are given each May. UW-Stevens Point grants credit for scores of 3, 4 and 5 on all AP exams. AP courses are currently offered in humanities, mathematics, natural sciences and social sciences. If you are awarded credit, it will be entered on your permanent record after you enroll at UW-Stevens Point. Contact your high school counselor or our Admissions Office, Room 102, Student Services Center, 715-346-2441, or see www.uwsp.edu/admissions/Pages/Applying/advancedPlacement.aspx.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP, also offered by the College Board, offers general examinations covering broad areas such as humanities, natural science and social science, as well as subject areas such as accounting, biology, American history, and psychology. UW-Stevens Point grants credit for acceptable scores on many of the CLEP examinations. Credit will be entered on your permanent record after you enroll at UW-Stevens Point. Contact our Admissions Office (Room 102, Student Services Center, 715-346-2441) or Testing Services (Third Floor, Delzell Hall, 715-346-4472) for additional information. www.uwsp.edu/admissions/Pages/Applying/CLEP.aspx.

Prior Learning Assessment Program

If you have had experiences equivalent to college level learning which relate to coursework at UW-Stevens Point, you may receive college credit for these experiences. For example, you might be eligible to gain academic credit for prior learning from your past employment, volunteer work, publications, or your participation in seminars, workshops, job-related training programs, or military training programs. For further information, see the Prior Learning Assessment Program section later in this catalog or contact the Academic and Career Advising Center, Room 320 Albertson Hall (ALB), 715-346-3226.

Advanced Standing/Retroactive Credit

Some departments administer placement tests when you first enroll. If the test results indicate that you should start at a higher level than the entering freshman course, you may have the opportunity to earn retroactive credit for the course. In world language, for example, you can earn up to 16 retroactive credits if you place into 313 and earn a grade of B- or better. Check the departmental listings in this catalog or contact the department chair for additional information.

Departmental Credit-by-Exam

Check the departmental listings in this catalog or contact the department chair for information about this option.


You may test out and/or receive credit-by-exam for any General Education Program (GEP) course at UW-Stevens Point, except for Writing Emphasis courses. See Test-Out and Credit-by-Exam Policy  under the General Education  section of this catalog or contact individual departments for more information about their test-out opportunities.

Additional Information and General Limitations to AP, Credit-by-Exam, and Test-Out

  1. Credits earned through the above policies:
    1. Are recorded on your academic record.
    2. Have full academic value and apply toward graduation and all other requirements as if you had completed the course through regular enrollment.
    3. Are not assigned grades, are not calculated in your grade point average and are not included in your semester credit load.
    4. Do not count toward the minimum 30 credit residency requirement.
  2. You may count 32 credits earned under the above policies toward the 120 credits required for graduation or 16 credits toward an associate degree.
  3. You may be charged a nominal fee for departmentally administered test-out and credit examinations.
  4. The methods for testing and standards for awarding credit or test-out in departmentally administered tests are determined by the department.
  5. Individual departments may have additional limitations to these programs which will be identified in the department’s section of this catalog.

Prior Learning Assessment

Julie Schneider, Coordinator
Room 320 Albertson Hall (ALB)
Phone: 715-346-3226
Email: jschneid@uwsp.edu

Prior Learning Assessment allows you to receive credit for college-level learning obtained outside the traditional academic setting. Credit is not granted simply for experience, but rather for the learning obtained from the experience. The learning is judged to be equivalent to knowledge you would gain through UW-Stevens Point coursework.

Prior learning may be evaluated by techniques such as an interview, demonstration, portfolio assessment, or other methods where appropriate for specific courses, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations and challenge examinations offered by various departments.

After you have been formally admitted to the university you can request an evaluation of prior learning for credit. Please follow this procedure:

  1. Contact the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Coordinator who will help you identify the competencies you have acquired, and decide which credits might be sought by prior learning assessments and/or by more traditional means. Have transcripts that certify formal educational experience sent to the Admissions Office.
  2. After you and the PLA Coordinator have determined which credits are to be sought, you will need to consult with the chair(s) of the involved department(s) concerning the preparation and documentation of the necessary materials relating to your prior learning experiences. You will want to consult with your academic adviser and may consult with the PLA Coordinator as you develop the materials requested by the involved department(s) concerning the competencies you believe you have already acquired.
  3. Following preparation of the portfolio(s), take the materials to the chair(s) of the involved department(s). This begins the evaluation phase of the process. The chair may assign a faculty member and/or a committee to assess your portfolio.
  4. After the evaluation is complete, a written recommendation for or against the award of credit, the amount of credit, and the level of credit, will be submitted to the chair of the appropriate department for review. The chair will forward the material and final recommendation to the PLA Coordinator.
  5. The PLA Coordinator will notify you and the Records Office of the award of credit, which will be entered into your permanent record. A fee of $50 for 12 or fewer credits, or $100 for 13 or more credits will be assessed.

Evaluation of prior learning takes time. Please do not assume that the evaluation can be completed during the semester you apply. It may take several weeks or months.