Cynthia McCabe, Chair
Room B-246, Science Building
Nate Wetzel, Coordinator of Pre-Calculus Mathematics
Room D-352, Science Building
This department is in the College of Letters and Science .
Faculty: G Adams, D Allan, S Budak, A Felt, H Gonchigdanzan, D Harnett, J Herman, S Kanbir, R Kreczner, S Liang, C McCabe, M Milkovich, R Mitchell, G Renfert, D Rohm, T Rood, K Schoenecker, A Schuller, J Strick, E Watson, N Wetzel, T Zhang.
Definition: Mathematics is the study of quantity, form, arrangement and magnitude. It is the study of the measurement, properties, and relationships of quantities, using numbers and symbols.
Mathematics Placement Test
The mathematics placement test is given to all new freshmen as they enter the university. The test covers the material found in the usual four-year high school mathematics program (two years of algebra, geometry, and precalculus) and the scoring varies according to the amount of mathematics you have taken. The test results are used to place you at the appropriate level of mathematics at UW-Stevens Point. At some of these levels you will be able to choose from several courses after examining their prerequisites. If you did not take the test at the time you entered the university, you may arrange for it at the department office.
Academic Standards for Mathematics Major
To have a major in mathematics approved for graduation, you must have a minimum grade point average of 2.00 (2.75 to student teach) in the math courses you select to satisfy the requirements of the major. In addition, you must achieve a grade of C or better in at least 18 credits in required courses numbered 300 or above. These standards apply regardless of a declaration of academic bankruptcy. The department chair may allow exceptions on a conditional basis.
Additional Academic Standards for Teacher Certification:
- A minimum grade point average of 2.75.
- Elementary education majors are required to take MATH 228 , MATH 338 , MED 228 , MED 338 and MED 345 .
- Contact the Mathematical Sciences Department early for entrance requirements and application procedures. Also see information about the Professional Education Program in the Education section of this catalog, and information about Secondary Education for teacher certification in the Secondary/K-12 Education Curriculum for Teacher Certification section of this catalog.
Test-Out and Credit-by-Exam Policy for Mathematics
The principal test-out procedure for mathematics is the UW System Mathematics Placement Exam. You are placed in math courses based on that exam and may place out of the mathematics requirement.
- If you do not feel the placement test has accurately reflected your ability, you may retake the test once, OR you may take the final exam for any General Education Program requirement math course. If you score 70% or higher, you will be exempt from that course.
- You may also use AP (Advanced Placement) scores to receive advanced placement and credit-by-exam. If you score a 3 or higher on the AP Calculus AB exam, you can receive credit for MATH 225 . If you score a 3 or higher on the AP Calculus BC exam, you can receive credit for both MATH 225 and MATH 226 .
- If you took calculus in high school but did not take the AP exam, you may be placed directly into MATH 226 at the discretion of the department chair. If you earn a grade of B or better in MATH 226 , you will receive retroactive credit for MATH 225 .
Master of Science in Teaching (Mathematics)
The Master of Science in Teaching (Mathematics) is offered in cooperation with UW-Oshkosh. You can get more information from the department office.
ProgramsBachelor DegreesMinorsCertification for Teachers (Undergraduate)
Also see listing under Mathematics Education.