Sep 20, 2021  
Fall 2021 Catalog 
Fall 2021 Catalog

Bilingual-Bicultural Education Certificate Program

This certificate is administered by the Department of World Languages and Literatures .



The United States Department of Education requires institutions that provide distance education to disclose information for programs leading to professional certification or licensure about whether each program meets state educational requirements for initial licensure or certification. Following is this disclosure information for this program:

The requirements of this program meet Certification/Licensure in the following states:


The requirements of this program do not meet Certification/Licensure in the following states:

Not applicable

The requirements of this program have not been determined if they meet Certification/Licensure in the following states:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming; District of Columbia; American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands


The Bilingual-Bicultural Education Certificate is available if you are an undergraduate student who is already seeking ESL teaching certification and to practicing K-12 teachers with ESL certification in hand. The certificate is awarded after completion of all coursework (FLED 345 /FLED 545  (3 credits), FLED 397 /FLED 597 , FLED 399 ) and requires a minimum of 5 credits. Program participants will acquire abilities to teach content both in English and another language (either Spanish or Hmong). You may apply for teaching certification with the Department of Public Instruction upon completion of the program. Contact the Department of World Languages and Literatures, the School of Education, or the Continuing Education Office for more information about the program. Note: You will only be awarded the Certificate if you successfully complete the English as a Second Language Minor with K-12 Teacher Certification .