Dec 03, 2023
This major is administered by the area of Art and Art History in the School of Design and Communication .
The Art, BFA major is designed specifically for you if you are interested in working with a variety of media and approaches to making creative work. The skillsets gained in these studies prepare you for a variety of maker based professional opportunities.
Once enrolled in the program, you are steeped in a formal studio background, with the ability to explore and combine a variety of media and investigative methodologies to examine and explore topics across 2D, 3D, and 4D (time based) studio practice. The program encourages innovative thinking and making for you if you are interested in alternative and innovative practices. Following enrollment in a common Foundation set of courses, you will work closely with faculty mentors to guide you in your unique development. Course offering come from Art, Graphic Design, Theater, Media Arts, Theater Tech, Dance and Music.
Program Learning Outcomes
- You will have knowledge of research techniques, artistic media, and artistic techniques
- You will have knowledge of contemporary and historical fine arts accomplishments at both national and international levels
- You will be able to comprehend what constitutes a serious design project or work of art and will have knowledge of the coherent sets of ideas and goals that are embodied in such work
- You will have a detailed knowledge of art historical, art philosophical and conceptual ideas, both in art in a contemporary context and in art of other periods and cultures
- You will have the ability to evaluate and analyze artworks, both contemporary and historical, stylistically and ichnographically
- You will have the ability to use their technical knowledge to create a portfolio of high-quality work and to analyze and evaluate its qualities cogently
- You will learn and employ the professional skills and experience needed to pursue your chosen professional paths
Consists of 78 total credits in Art and related disciplines.
The distribution is as follows:
- 12 credits in Foundation
- 9 credits in Required Studio
- 3 credits in 2D Art Studio
- 6 credits in 3D Art Studio
- 6 credits in Required Seminar
- 12 credits in Art and Design History, Theory, Criticism
- 27 credits in Studio Electives
- 3 credits in Senior Exhibition
Art Foundation, 12 credits
Take all of the following:
Required Studio, 9 credits
Required 2D Art Studio, 3 credits
3 credits must be chosen from the following courses:
Required 3D Art Studio, 6 credits
6 credits must be chosen from the following courses:
Required Seminar, 6 credits
Studio Electives, 27 credits
Take 27 credits from the following (At least 15 credits must have an Art designation; at least 15 credits must be 300-400-level):
BFA Portfolio Review, 0 credits
BFA majors must also pass the BFA Portfolio Review , as specified (see catalog description of procedures for BFA Portfolio Review).
Art and Design History, Theory, Criticism, 12 credits
Take 6 credits from:
At least 3 credits must have an Art designation.
Senior Exhibition, 3 credits